Anthony Von der Muhll, Licensed Acupuncturist, Doctor of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine, Board Certified in Acupuncture Orthopedics has served patients since 2003 with pain, orthopedic and sports injuries, and other neuro-musculoskeletal conditions, using acupuncture, electro-acupuncture, dry needling, myofascial trigger point needling, prolo-acupuncture, gua sha, tui na, suction cupping, and Traditional East Asian herbology. He integrates traditional acupuncture with contemporary neuro-anatomical approaches to needle therapy.
Acupuncture Training, Education & Clinical Experience
Mr. Anthony Von der Muhll founded the Santa Cruz Acupuncture Orthopedics and Sports Medicine Clinic in 2003, and relocated to the Sports Acupuncture Clinic at Bamboo Family Medicine in Charlottesville, Virginia, in 2022. He is the only Licensed Acupuncturist in Charlottesville who is a credentialed Fellow of the Academy of Integrative Pain Management, and also certified as a Myofascial Trigger Point Therapist (dry needling) through Myopain Seminars.
Mr. Von der Muhll earned his Masters in Traditional Chinese Medicine at the Five Branches University of Traditional Chinese Medicine (Santa Cruz), and was the first Licensed Acupuncturist to graduate from Five Branches’ Integrative Sports Medicine Certificate program. He earned his Doctorate in Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (Orthopedics and Pain Management specialty) from the Academy of Chinese Culture and Health Sciences (Oakland). He obtained his national board certification in Acupuncture Orthopedics in 2006, and become credentialed as a Fellow of the Academy of Integrative Pain Management in 2014 (both now unfortunately defunct). Mr. Von der Muhll has worked in physician-lead pain medicine and physiatry clinics, including SpineMed Associates and the PRIME Pain Medicine Institute.
An Experienced Acupuncturist Educator
He served as an Associate Professor and Clinical Supervisor in Orthopedics, Traumatology and Integrative Sports Medicine at Five Branches from 2005-2020. He is also an Instructor in the Orthopedics and Pain Management specialty in the Doctorate DAOM Program at the Academy of Chinese Culture and Health Sciences in Oakland. Mr. Von der Muhll has also served as an Instructor in acupuncture orthopedics at the DAOM programs of the American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine (San Francisco) and the Virginia University of Integrative Medicine (Faifax, VA).
Mr. Von der Muhll is the founder and head instructor of AOM Professional, which provides doctoral-level continuing education to Licensed Acupuncturists. He has served as a featured speaker at the conferences of the Sports Acupuncture Alliance, the California State Oriental Medical Association, California Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine Association, the Georgia Association for Acupuncture and Asian Medicine, and the Acupuncture Society of Virginia.
Anthony Von der Muhll's Approach to Acupuncture Treatment of Pain and Injuries
He takes an integrative approach to diagnosis and treatment, using Eastern as well as standard Western orthopedic exam methods along with traditional medicine treatment principles and protocols. He works collaboratively with referring physicians and therapists to provide care, and communicates regarding treatment plans and outcomes. A life-long learner, Anthony continues to train in acupuncture orthopedics and pain management, manual therapies (cupping, guasha, bodywork), herbal medicine. Anthony's passion for practicing medicine is rooted in a deep curiosity for how the body works, serving the healthcare needs of his community, and providing effective, high-quality treatments for his patients. When he’s not in the clinic, Anthony is often biking, hiking, running, and enjoying the outdoors with his wife and daughter.
- Masters in Traditional Chinese Medicine (2002), and first graduate of Five Branches University of TCM's Integrative Sports Medicine program (2003)
- Diplomate of the National Board of Acupuncture Orthopedics (2006) (The NBAO is now unfortunately defunct)
- Fellow of the Academy of Integrative Pain Management (2014) (The AIPM is now unfortunately defunct)
- Certified Myofascial Trigger Point Therapist (trigger point needling), Myopain Seminars (2017)
- Doctorate in Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (Orthopedics and Pain Management specialization), Academy of Chinese Culture and Health Sciences (2021)
Manual and Exercise Therapy Training and Education
- Certified Massage Therapist, Pacific College of Oriental Medicine (1997)
- Certificate in Sports Massage, McKinnon Institute (1998)
- Certificate in Acupressure, The Acupressure Institute (1998)
- Certified Personal Trainer, American College of Sports Medicine (2006)
- Licensed Acupuncturist (L.Ac.) #AC9132, California Acupuncture Board and Virginia Board of Medicine # 0121001069
- Private Practice, Licensed Acupuncturist, Santa Cruz (2003-2020), Berkeley (2020-22), CA, and Charlottesville, VA 2022-present.
- Clinical practice since 2003 as a licensed acupuncturist, and since 1998 as a sports massage therapist, physical therapy aide, and athletic training assistant.
- Clinical practice in physician-lead multi-disciplinary integrative medicine clinics, including SpineMed Associates and the PRIME Pain Medicine Institute.
- Professional Member, Acupuncture Society of Virginia
- Spanish, French: limited, translator advised for initial or complex visits. Professional translation may be arranged through patient’s insurance, please inquire for details.
Anthony bikes, hikes, runs, backpacks, and enjoys adventuring outdoors with his wife and daughter. He has also studied and practiced yoga, taiji, bagua and qigong. His artistic passion lies in playing music, occasionally performing guitar and harmonica in public when no-one objects until it's too late :-).